David and John Rutherford were seemingly father and son. David set up his publishing business under the sign of The Viol and German Flute in St Martin’s Court, a few yards north of St Paul’s Cathedral. In business by 1745, he published country dance books, minuets and instrument tutors.
His yearly volumes of 24 country dances started in 1749 and were gathered together in volumes of 200 dances, the first volume spanning 1749 to 1756. The second volume covered 1757 to 1764 and the third, under John Rutherford’s name reached to 1772.