John Johnson was an important London music publisher and operated out of The Harp and Crown facing Bow Church on Cheapside, a site that is now possibly occupied by a coffee shop from a well known chain.
He was in business from around 1740 and when he apparently died in 1762, the business appears to have been continued by his wife until at least 1771. The name John Johnson reappears on the publications for 1763 to 1766 but this could be a son. After that the name of Mrs Johnson reappears. Meanwhile, the sign of The Harp and Crown is taken up by James Longman and Co. of 26, Cheapside (now somewhere around The Bank of England), who possibly bought the rights off Mrs Johnson.
The Johnson imprint, as well as publishing an annual ’24 Country Dances’, put out a regular large volume containing 200 dances and tunes. The project has transcribed a number of these.